Friday, July 2, 2010

Seriously!?!

My boss wanted to go out for lunch today so she looked up nutrition facts for three resturants close to our office. I don't know what I was expecting but I was completely shocked to find out the carb, fat, and calorie count for her favorite item at each place. I cannot believe one sandwich would be 700+ calories! What on earth!?!

This startling truth helped me realize how horrible I have eaten in the past. I cannot believe the calories, carbs, and fat grams I have consumed in just a regular lunch! One thing this has opened my eyes to is choosing my meal before going out. When we decide to eat out, I need to hop online and go ahead and make the best decision I can. As a diabetic, I should aim to eat between 45-65 carbs per meal. I cannot believe the times I have probably consumed more than 75 or 85 carbs (or more) in one meal. Yikes!

My eyes are now open to resturant and fast food nutritional facts (can they even call them nutritional at that point?). I will make it a goal to make smart decisions by checking ahead (and making sure to drink plenty of water with my meal).

1 comment:

  1. Hi, when I started paying attention to what was going into my mouth, I was shocked to discover how unhealthy the nutritional vales were for the foods that I was eating. I mean, I knew my eating was unhealthy, but to actually read it is quite sobering. Good luck on your journey!

    Welcome to the HYC :)

    ReplyDelete